Black Friday is getting closer. Many other ecommerce stores are preparing their campaigns for this day just like you. As the day comes nearer, online advertising prices will increase and many brands will struggle to achieve high conversion.
So, what can you do? How can you maximize your sales?
Here are 10 effective tips:
1. CREATE ATTENTION BEFORE, MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE ALL THE NECESSARY PREPARATIONS BEFORE GOING ON THE STAGE!
The customers will probably browse many websites on Black Friday. Complete a full check-up on your site before this day and make sure your website opens and operates perfectly on all devices. 53% of mobile visitors leave a website that does not open in 3 seconds, so concentrate on your site speed.
Plan your Black Friday campaigns well before this date, test them, make sure they work properly. Do not seek adventure and try new things. Implement the campaigns you have already tried and you are certain that they will produce good results.
Prepare your special landing page on your website for your Black Friday campaign and test this page on various browsers and devices.
When collecting new subscribers for your email newsletter on your website, add a small explanation such as “Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our amazing Black Friday opportunities!”
Start your communication at least 10 days or 1 week ahead of Black Friday. Make announcements on your website and other digital marketing channels and create interest. Start your campaign when you maximize the interest of your target audience.
2. START EARLY, DIRECT THE DELAYED DEMAND TO YOUR PRODUCTS, MAKE SURE EVERYONE IN YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE SEES YOUR CAMPAIGN!
Many consumers delay their demand (if they can) to benefit from Black Friday online shopping campaigns.
You may consider starting your Black Friday campaign early to benefit the most from this delayed demand.
The consumers have a certain budget and some products in their mind that they want to buy. If they buy from another online store that started the campaign early, they will not buy from you. Some brands will act this way whether you do this or not. So, you may start early too.
Make sure every visitor coming to your website sees your campaign. Using only a single banner on your home page will be a very bad decision. Use your message on every page. You may consider using a red or orange row at the top of your website to announce your campaign.
3. FOCUS ON THE PRICE, PEOPLE WILL BE PRICE ORIENTED (EVEN THE ONES WHO NORMALLY ARE NOT)
During the Black Friday period, even the consumers who are not normally price oriented will focus on the prices (at least they will be affected from this). Don’t waste your time trying to communicate other messages and focusing on other factors.
Focus on the price, but really focus. If this is not possible for all your products, at least feature selected products or categories.
As the online customers know the prices of the products they are interested in, and most of them are savvy shoppers, do not raise the prices first then make a discount, trying to fool them.
Try to determine the products that will generate the most sales and feature them on your home page and category pages.
You may motivate the people to buy using a message like “limited number of products” or try to make them revisit your website throughout the day using a message like “surprise discounts that will last for only 1 hour”.
4. MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO VIRAL!
If your campaign really motivates people, they will want to share this with their friends and family to inform them or to get their opinion.
You should organize your website to make this possible. You may use “inform your friend” feature. Make sure that social media share buttons are added to your product pages.
5. USE SMART ADS STRATEGIES!
Every year ads prices increase significantly during Black Friday period. Brands generally use higher budgets, the competition intensifies and the online shoppers receive a lot of marketing messages.
Taking this into consideration, focusing on result-oriented ads campaigns and keywords will be a good decision. You may feature the products that will most likely to generate sales.
Generic keywords communicated with large audiences will consume your budget very fast and your conversion will be low. Try to focus on result-oriented long-tail keywords. You may consider optimizing the running time of your ads.
Branded terms will be very important. As these people know your brand, conversion will be high. Make sure this campaign has enough budget. You may also focus on shopping ads, remarketing ads and dynamic remarketing ads.
In addition to email newsletters, it is a good idea to use Gmail / GSP ads. People will follow their emails on Black Friday and you should be in their mailboxes.
6. BENEFIT FROM DIVIDE AND CONQUER METHOD!
Today’s consumers see hundreds of marketing messages on an average day and recall almost none of them. Human brain is loaded with 34 gb. of information every day.
The attention span has declined to only a few seconds. Users spend only 1.7 seconds for any given piece of content on Facebook.
Every day, users post 95 million photos on Instagram, post 500 million tweets on Twitter, upload more than 700.000 hours of video on YouTube, send 281 billion emails.
The number of marketing messages people receive has increased so much that people are not reading anymore. They are glancing over until they see something that they are really interested in.
For this reason, the marketing message you give must exactly match the perspective of the recipient to gain his/her attention.
To achieve this, you should divide your target audience into segments and communicate each segment with tailored messages.
I explain this method in detail in my Digital Marketing Strategies book.
7. USE SOCIAL MEDIA WISELY!
People use social media heavily but organic reach of the posts declined significantly on many platforms. Recently, Instagram began to follow the steps of Facebook and decreased the organic reach of the posts.
For this reason it is important to support your posts with Facebook and Instagram ads. You may also consider using Messenger or WhatsApp ads to support your messages during Black Friday period.
You should plan your posts before this period, start communicating with your target audience early, create interest and start your campaign when the interest is at its maximum.
If it is not against your brand policy, it will be a good idea to use hashtags related to Black Friday.
8. FORMULATE YOUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER STRATEGY CAREFULLY
Black Friday is an excellent time to focus on the email newsletter subscribers you collected throughout the years.
Check your subscriber list before this period and -if you can- separate your customers from the subscribers who have never bought anything.
In accordance with the Divide & Conquer method, you may feature different products to these segments. You may motivate the subscribers who have never bought anything using a different marketing message, you may present low priced products, focus on online shopping advantages and trust factor in your marketing message.
As is the case with other channels, you should start your campaign early, create interest and start your campaign when the interest is at its maximum.
9. CHARM THE FIRST-TIME CUSTOMERS!
It is possible that you will have high number of orders during Black Friday period and this higher than normal workload should not result in lack of attention.
On the contrary, you should show extra care to all your orders and especially to your first-time customers. You should make them happy so that they will be one of your regular customers.
You may consider adding some surprises to product boxes such as colorful candies. You may offer a special discount only to these people to use in their next purchase. People will really like these little surprises.
10. MOTIVATE THE PEOPLE WHO CAME TOUR WEBSITE BUT DID NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT DAY!
You have worked hard and achieved your sales goal on Black Friday.
But there are still very high number of people who came to your website that day but did not buy anything. These people constitute more than 90% of your website visitors.
It is a good idea to focus on these people after Black Friday. For example, you may focus on the people who have visited your website in the last 7 days and motivate them with an additional campaign.
Cyber Monday follows Black Friday and it is a good opportunity to implement this campaign.
+ BONUS TIP:
It is a very good idea to subscribe to the email newsletters of competitor brands to monitor their communication closely.
If you haven’t already done this, do it now.
You may also follow their websites and social media pages with the same perspective.
You may do this by not using your real name and company email address.
BLACK FRIDAY MARKETING CHECKLIST:
- Have you performed a check-up on your website before Black Friday period?
- Have you planned your Black Friday campaigns and tested them?
- Have you prepared your special landing page on your website for your Black Friday campaign?
- When collecting new subscribers for your email newsletter on your website, have you added a small explanation such as “Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our amazing Black Friday opportunities!”?
- Have you prepared your communication plan, starting at least 10 days or 1 week ahead of Black Friday?
- Have you considered starting your Black Friday campaign early to benefit the most from delayed demand?
- Have you organized your website so that every visitor coming to your website sees your Black Friday campaign?
- Are you focusing on the prices? Have you determined what you can do about this?
- Have you determined the products and categories that you will feature?
- Have you added “inform your friend” feature to your website?
- Have you added social media share buttons to your product pages on your website?
- Have you completed your advertising plan? Have you decided on your budget and which campaigns to focus on?
- Have you completed your preparations regarding your ads campaigns?
- Are you benefiting from Divide & Conquer Method?
- Have you completed your social media plan? Have you secured advertising budget to promote your posts?
- Have you completed your email newsletter plan?
- Have you secured the manpower to handle high number of orders during Black Friday period?
- Have you considered adding candies or some other little surprises to orders?
- Have you prepared your plan targeting the people who came to website on Black Friday but did not buy anything?
- Have you subscribed to the email newsletters of competitor brands? Are you following their websites and social media pages?
Do not restrict yourself only to Black Friday!
Learn the most effective digital marketing strategies for all times in Digital Marketing Strategies book.
Look inside and read the first chapteron Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1793365865
Other online stores: http://korayodabasi.com/#buy-the-book